4-27-21 Minutes of Democratic Women
in person meeting — first since last March
Joining us on ZOOM
Hostess Marion Farina
Facilitator Paula Goldman
Minutes of in person/Zoom meeting of Democratic Women — 4/27/2021
Zoom hostess Marion Farina — Connie Randall on ZOOM
Paula Goldman facilitated
1) Paula began by introducing Clarissa Parks, our current McCormick County Auditor, and inviting Clarissa to share her background and experience. Clarissa plans to attend the full party meeting next Tuesday at Plum Branch Yacht Club where she will speak to the group.
2) Paula reminded us about the Pot Luck for our May 4 meeting at Plum Branch Yacht Club at 5:30. Due to Covid, we are asked to bring our own food and chairs. Chairman Harrison will provide beverages. The Democratic Women will provide desserts.
3) Paula reported that the Voter Encouragement packets that JoAnn Ritchie wrote and Paula helped usher through the school dignitaries met a snag because the superintendent and principal are no longer part of the program. Paula consulted the secretary at the school (Mrs. Talbot?) who has been handing out the packets to students who reach their 18th birthday.
4) Fish Fry — September 18
Paula reported that no decision made on time of Fish Fry. Arthur Banks said that moving the starting time to later in the afternoon made it harder on the fish fryers due to the heat. No discussion of possible speakers.
5) Paula listed the current list of contenders for the 2022 offices of Governor and US Senator to run against Tim Scott.
Joe Cunningham plans to run against McMasters for governor.
Other possible candidates: Gary Bogur, James Smith and Krystal Matthews.
Paula mused that we might entice Ms. Mathews to speak at our Pot Luck or Fish Fry since it is so early in the race.
6) Brief discussion of the John de la Howe article in the Index Journal this week. Negative references to “past poor management” discussed as typical dismissal of the work of the folks who had to deal with small budgets. Indications are that the Edgefield connection has bypassed McCormick residents in favor of Edgefield people.
7) Next meeting of Democratic Women last Tuesday in May, possibly at the Library.